Monday, December 20, 2010

New Life for an Old 9'6" Hobie

Many are the debates over whether or how much to restore an old board to it's former glory.
In the case of my '62 Hobie it was an easy decision.  This board was super solid, i.e. no delam, solid foam everywhere under the double-10oz or 12oz glass, and after a few repairs, water-tight all around, with a fin, stringer and logo all in superb shape, but......UGLY AS SHIT with discoloration.

I decided to go for it.  I sanded off the gloss coat and most of the sanding coat, filled minor defects in the surface and then block sanded it for straight-as-new surface.  I applied a new surface-coat, pigmented to achieve the color panels, pin lined it with resin and gloss-coated it....just like it would have been done at the factory.

Is it worth more.......or less than if I had left it alone?  I don't really care.  It's beautiful (to me) and it's good to go for 50 more seasons.  Check it out.




This began as a humble, 1962 Hobie, 9'-6" x 22" x 3-1/2", standard shop model. 
Below are some "before" photos.



Taped off - ready to color coat
The weight change resulting from the restoration seems to be about zero.  It's still as heavy as boards were back in the day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job !!! Happy holidays !!!

Mr. Black said...

Nice!!!

SuperGypo said...

Beautiful!